This is Part 1 of the eCommerce Shop Setup Guide:
- Part 0: Introduction
- Part 1: Changing Static Content Strings
- Part 2: Modifying Page Templates and Creating Custom Pages
- Part 3: Customizing the Shop’s Header and Navigation
- Part 4: Customizing the Shop’s Footer
- Part 5: Customizing the Homepage
- Part 6: Customizing the Products Page
- Part 7: Customizing the Product Detail Page
- Part 8: Modifying Shopping Carts and AutoShip Rules
- Part 9: Customizing the Checkout Page
- Part 10: Enabling Your Own Custom Enrollment Form
- Part 11: Customizing the Login Page
- Part 12: Creating LoginEvents
- Part 14: Using Multi-Faceted Configuration
Under Check Your Progress for each section, you check each box next to the task in order to keep track of your progress. If you would like to download the full checklist, click the Download Attachment link above.
Important: If you have any questions or need assistance with any of the steps, contact Customer Care.
What We’ll Cover
Changing Strings with Localization
The eCommerce Shop, like all websites, features static and dynamic content. Although, most elements that can be customized using the appropriate eCommerce Admin page, some elements are “hard-coded” into the HTML and are therefore static.
For example: In the eCommerce Shop, “Shop All Products” is static, but a product’s title is pulled in from Corporate Office > Inventory Items page configuration. Should you want to change a product category, you can simply edit the configuration in the Corporate Office.
But, what if you want to change something that is static content? The Localization page gives you this power to change any static content “string”. You can use the page to find all instances of the static content string and change them to whatever you want.
In eCommerce Admin, navigate to: Content Management > Localization.
Read more: 2.2. Localizing Static Content
Step-by-step guide: How to Change Static Text With eCommerce Admin
With this system you can manage all of your translations easily and have your shop localize dynamically. Many of the content customizations you will be doing throughout this guide for your eCommerce Shop will be modifying the static content to be what you want.
Check Your Progress
Learned about Changing Strings.
Awesome! Changing strings to customize static content is an essential step in customizing the eCommerce Shop. Next, we’re going to learn about another essential customization element: modifying page templates and creating custom pages.